Yum! This is one of my favorite breakfast treats! And breakfast is my favorite part of the day 🙂
Best made in-season with pumpkin or butternut squash:
- Half butternut squash chopped & peeled
- 2-3 carrots chopped & peeled
- A small 200 ml can or box of coconut cream
- 1 cup whole wheat or normal oats (organic, not quick oats!)
- Appx. 2 tablespoons of Chía seeds
- A few pinches of cinnamon
- A couple squirts of agave or honey if not vegan
- Coconut yogurt or Sheep Kefír/ greek yogurt if not vegan
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- Pumpkin/Sesame seeds and mixed nuts
- Any fresh fruit: I like banana and blueberry
- Coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon of organic, natural peanut butter
Boil your carrots and squash or pumpkin until soft. Drain most of the liquid (leave about 1/4 c water). Add back to pot with the coconut cream. Mix with a hand mixer or if you have a blender (or fancier), use that! Add cinnamon and agave and blend until smooth.
Add some of your blended squash mixture to a large jar and add your chía seeds and oats. Mix with a spoon. Fill up the jar with more squash mixture and oats until full! Seal tight and leave in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
When it’s ready, spoon 1/2 c of your overnight pumpkin oats into a bowl. Add approx. 1/4 coconut yogurt (or sweetened Kefír or greek yogurt if you aren’t a vegan) and all your toppings! If you like it a bit sweeter don’t be afraid to add a bit more agave or honey.